I’ve identified the top 10 owners of buildings who will provide access to their property if you visit their office and pick up the keys.
They also hold open houses for occupied apartments. This list represents hundreds of buildings and tens of thousands of apartments in Manhattan below 96 Street. Most of these are walk-up buildings , which are some the least expensive properties you can rent in Manhattan.
- 9300 Realty-Croman -you can pick up the keys at their office which is located at 632 Broadway ( right above Houston Street)on the seventh floor. They represent over 133 buildings and many of their listings are in the NYU area. These are often nicely renovated.
- Eberhart Bros.– you can go to their office and pick up keys at 312 E. 82nd St.. They represent over 60 buildings, many of them have exposed brick and are located in the heart of the upper East side.
- http://www.nofeerentals.com Jacobson represents over 2000 apartments throughout Manhattan and Queens. You can go to their office is located at 11 Waverley Pl. between Mercer Street and Green St., Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 7 PM.
- Copperwood represents over 20 buildings mainly on the upper East side of Manhattan. You can check their website or go directly to their office which is located at 317 E. 84th St. between first and second avenues.
- LC Lemle represents over 21 buildings mainly on the upper East side of Manhattan. You can check their website or go directly to their office which is located at 177 E. 87th St. Suite 501.
- http://www.skymanagement.com/ represents over 39 buildings located throughout New York City. They often hold open houses for occupied apartments. They have a mix of elevator and walk-up buildings. They are located at 226 E. 54 Street Suite 402.
- City and Suburban represent over 66 buildings throughout Manhattan. Their office is located at 511 E. 78th St. and they are open Monday through Sunday.
- Big Apple Management represents 32 buildings located throughout Manhattan. You can check their website for current availability or visit their offices at 347 Fifth Avenue (between 33rd and 34 Street) Suite 1201.
- Bettina Equities– represents over 42 buildings and 200 apartments all over Manahttan. Their offices are located at 227 E. 85th St., Check their website or give them a call for current availabilities.
- http://www.bandlmanagement.com/ this would be a great example of midrise buildings that have elevators and no doorman. They represent 25 buildings throughout Manhattan. You can visit their website or find them located at 316 E. 63rd St. Suite1 A. many of these apartments are shown by the super during open house hours.
If you were to take an afternoon and visit a couple of these management companies, you will have a real accurate idea of what you can get in New York City in the walk-up building. Good luck!